Well, it’s been a while… I’ve had a lot of things going on, and so my house projects have been on hold. I’m getting started again in my studio in the hopes that it will be a much more attractive and functional space. I’m including canvas, but not in the way you might expect.
You may remember, that I planned on covering the walls with paper. I got started with doing a paper bag wall. I liked the texture, but wasn’t sure I wanted the walls to be so dark. I did a section in the corner.
The other issue, besides the darkness, was that I had several problem areas in the room that I needed to cover. One is where they took out a window and put drywall up, but the seams are not taped and bedded, and there are gaps. If you bumped the paper, this happened:
So, I went back to the drawing board as it were. One of the ideas I had at first, was to cover the walls with fabric. Part of the difficulty there, is getting decent fabric at a good price that will do what I need it to do. Another issue is how to work out the panels. It also needed to be sturdy enough to go over the problem areas. Then, it occurred to me: canvas tarps! They are quite sturdy, are a light neutral color, and come in large sizes. In fact, canvas tarps come in 9×12′. Since my walls are 9′ tall, that seemed perfect! It would have been nice if they also came 9×14, but alas, no! My walls are 13′ long. I tried to figure out a way of disguising the seams, and decided that I wasn’t going to worry about them right now. A good thing, as the canvas is seamed in the middle.
My nephew and I moved all of the furniture in the room into the middle, so you’ll see funny shadows in some of the photos. I started on the north wall.
I used my staple gun that runs off the air compressor, so it went pretty quick, and the staples are long enough to go through the drywall and into the framing of the wall…at least theoretically! The canvas seems to be very securely fastened as I was able to pull them fairly taut.
You can see some of the paper bag wall here. I started in this corner with the canvas, and went to the left, and now to the right. I stapled the edges and around the doors and outlets, etc. Then, just trimmed around them with scissors.
The room feels much larger and is much brighter! I’ll be moving the furniture back into place today, so hopefully will be able to share more photos soon! I’ve designed a tabouret/art table and have it ready to assemble as well….I’m hoping I figured it all correctly! I tend to forget that building materials have 3 dimensions to them…like I did with my duck house/chicken coop. But, more on that another time!